Simple rhetorical questions
Rhetorical questions are ones where the speaker doesn't really expect an answer. The answer should be obvious, and the question is asked in order to make a point.
There are several very common types of rhetorical questions using basic words you already know:
This first one is the easiest and most common. It can be quite friendly, seemingly reminding the other person of a fact they seem to have (conveniently?) forgotten.
This one is often quite sarcastic, pointing out someone else's unrealistic expectations. (The obvious answer is "no" here.)
This second one has a tone of incredulity. The speaker clearly thinks this shouldn't have happened, or thought it couldn't have happened.
The third one is exclusively used by surly or annoyed people. It means "who told you to...?" or "who made you...?"
- A: 你 看 到 我 的 手机 了 吗？Have you seen my cell phone?
- B:不 是 在 桌子 上 吗 ？Isn't that it on the table?
- A: 我们 什么 时候 开会？When are we having the meeting?
- B:不 是 已经 告诉 你 了 吗 ？Haven't I told you that already?
- A: 今天 放假 了，好 开心。We go on vacation today. I'm so happy!
- B:不 是 明天 放假 吗 ？Doesn't vacation start tomorrow?
- A: 他 又 感冒 了。He's caught another cold.
- B: 他 每天 穿得 都 很少，能 不 感冒 吗 ？He never dresses warmly. How could he not catch a cold?
- A: 今天 我 可能 会 迟到。I might be late today.
- B:你 起得 这么 晚，能 不 迟到 吗 ？You got up so late, how could you not be late?
- A: 我 点 了 很多 菜，都是 你 爱 吃 的。I ordered a bunch of food, all stuff that you like.
- B:晚上 吃 这么 多 菜，能 不 胖 吗 ？Eating so much food at night, how could I not gain weight?
- A: 他们 公司 很 厉害。Their company is really impressive.
- B:但是 他们 公司 怎么 会 有 这么 笨 的 员工？But then how can they have such a stupid employee?
- A: 我 收到 了 你 的 邮件。I received your text.
- B:那 你 怎么 会 不 知道 ？Then how is it that you don't know?
- A:我 感觉 最近 有 一点 胖 了。I feel like I've gained some weight recently.
- B:谁 让 你 吃 这么 多 ？Yes, this is totally mean in Chinese too, but people do say stuff like this.Who made you eat so much?
- A:我 找 不到 我 的 钥匙 了。I can't find my key.
- B:谁 让 你 不 放 在 包 里。Technically a question, but Chinese people often won't write the question mark on a sentence like this.What stopped you from putting it in your bag?
Sources and further reading
- Wikipedia: Rhetorical question