Advanced uses of "dou"
In its simplest terms, 都 (dōu) means "all," but there are also many other advanced uses for it.
都 meaning "to the point that"
都 can also mean 甚至, meaning "even to the point that," and in this form it expresses emphasis.
Subj. + 都 + Predicate
- 我都能闻见面包的香味。I can even smell the aroma of bread.
- 我对你太了解了，我都能知道你下一步要做什么。I understand you completely. I can even know what your next move is.
- 我很想妈妈，有时候我都能看见她。I really miss Mom. Sometimes I can even see her.
都 meaning "since..., then..."
都 can also mean "既然⋯⋯就", meaning "Since ..., in that case...“ A simple example would be 他都不说汉语，别跟他讲话, meaning "Since he does not speak Chinese, so don't talk with him."
都 + 小句，主句
- 他都这么说了，你还好意思再找他帮忙？Even though he said that, you still have the guts to ask for his help?
- 来都来了，就先别急着走了。Since everyone got here, we need to go now.
都 can also have have a tone of complaint
It often has a tone of grumbling or complaint, and it is often used with 怨 or 怪.
都 + 怨 / 是 / 怪 + Somebody
- 都 怪 你，出门 不 带 伞。It's all your fault, leaving without bringing an umbrella.
- 都 是 你，害 我 跑 这么 远。It's your fault for making me run so far.
- 都 怨 你，不 提前 订 好 座位。I blame you for not making the reservation earlier in the day.
- "Even" as "shenzhi"
- Expressing "Every" with "mei" and "dou"
- Explaining results with "suoyi"
- Expressing "all" with "shenme dou"
- Emphasizing quantity with "dou"
- Expressing "even" with "lian" and "dou"
- "Already" with "dou…le"
Sources and further reading
- Chinese Grammar - Broken down into 100 items - Basic and Intermediate Levels (汉语语法百项讲练 - 初中级) (pp. 97-99) [ →buy]
- 现代汉语八百词（增订本） (pp. 178) [ →buy]