Coincidence with "zhenghao"
正好 (zhènghǎo) can be used as an adjective or adverb to help express a coincidence, and it could be related to time, size, volume, quantity, degree, etc. In English we might say something similar like, “oh, this shirt you gave me just happens to be in my favorite color."
Used as "happen to be"
You can also use 正好 to mean "happen to be."
Subj. + 正好 + [Verb Phrase]
- 我 正好 要 出去 ，垃圾 我 来 扔 吧 。I'm just about to leave. I'll take out the trash.
- 你 来 了 ！我 正好 要 找 你 。You are here! I was just looking for you.
- 他 正好 问 了 我 想 问 的 问题 。He happened to ask the question that I wanted to ask.
- 我 正好 也 在 这里 实习 。I happen to be interning here too.
- 正好 你们 都 是 单身 。You both happen to be single.
- 我 明天 见 他 ，正好 可以 问问 他 这 件 事 。I'm going to meet with him tomorrow. I can just ask him about this matter.
- 我们 正好 也 要 去 那儿 ，一起 走 吧 。We just happen to be going there. Let's go together.
- 我 敲 门 的 时候 ，他 正好 出门 。He just happened to be leaving the house while I was knocking at the door.
Used as "just right"
You can also use 正好 by itself to mean "just right" or "just enough."
Examples of that usage:
- 这 件 衣服 的 大 小 正好 。The size of these clothes is just right.
- 水温 正好，不 冷 也 不 热 。The temperature of the water is perfect, not too cold, not too hot.
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 4上 (pp. 17) →buy
- 现代汉语八百词（增订本） (pp. 671) [ →buy]
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 1 (pp. 90) →buy