Expressing "although" with "jinguan"
尽管 (jǐnguǎn) means "although," and is a little stronger than 虽然, perhaps more like "despite" or "even though" in English.
尽管⋯⋯ ，(可是 / 但是 +) Subj. + 还是⋯⋯
可是 or 但是 can be added to further emphasize the shift in meaning in the second phrase.
- 尽管 很 多 人 批评 他 ，他 还是 坚持 这么 做。Despite the fact that many people criticize him, he still insists on doing it.
- 尽管 老板 最近 不 在 ，我们 还是 不 能 偷懒。Despite the fact that the boss hasn't been around lately, we still can't get lazy.
- 尽管 困难 很 多 ，但是 我们 不能 放弃。Even though there are many difficulties, we can't just give up.
- 尽管 我 很 生气 ，但是 我 没 发脾气。Even though I was angry, I didn't lose my temper.
- 尽管 警察 已经 找到 了 一些 证据 ，但是 他们 还是 不能 抓 那个 嫌疑人。Even though the police have already found some evidence, they still can't arrest the suspect.
- 尽管 他 的 书 很 有 争议 ，但 它 还是 出版 了。Even though his book is very controversial, it was still published.
- 尽管 当时 很 危险 ，消防员 还是 勇敢 地 冲 了 进去。Even though it was very dangerous, the firefighters still bravely charged right in.
A Note on Pronunciation
You may hear the word 尽管 pronounced as both "jǐnguǎn" and "jìnguǎn." Although "jǐnguǎn" is technically correct and "jìnguǎn" is incorrect, many educated native speakers will pronounce 尽量 exclusively as "jìnguǎn."
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 4上 (pp. 19) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 4 (新实用汉语课本4) (pp. 206) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 5) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy