Expressing "although" with "jinguan"
尽管 (jǐnguǎn) means "although," and is a little stronger than 虽然, perhaps more like "even though."
尽管⋯⋯ ，但是 + Subj. + 还是⋯⋯
- 尽管 老板 最近 不在 ，我们 还是 不 能 偷懒。Despite the fact that the boss hasn't been around lately, we still can't be lazy.
- 尽管 我 很 生气 ，但是 我 没 发脾气。Even though I was angry, I didn't lose my temper.
- 尽管 警察 已经 找到 了 一些 证据 ，但是 他们 还是 不能 抓 那个 嫌疑人。Even though the police found some proof, they still couldn’t arrest the suspect.
- 尽管 他 的 书 很 有 争议 ，但 它 还是 出版 了。Even though his book is very controversial, it's still published.
- 尽管 困难 很多 ，但是 我们 不能 放弃。Even though there're many difficulties, we can't just give up on it.
- 尽管 很多人 批评 他 ，他 还是 坚持 这么 做。Despite the fact that many people criticize him, he still insists on doing it.
- 尽管 当时 很 危险 ，消防员 还是 勇敢 地 冲 了 进去。Even though it was very dangerous, the firefighters are still bravely running in.
可 or 但是 can be added before 还是 or 仍然 to further emphasize the shift in meaning in the second phrase.
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 4上 (pp. 19) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 4 (新实用汉语课本4) (pp. 206) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 5) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy