Basic comparisons with "meiyou"
In Chinese, there is another way to make comparisons. You can use 没有 (méiyǒu) to express that something is "not as" adjective as something else. (Yes, that's the same 没有 (méiyǒu) that means "not have," used here in a different way.)
As well as with 比 (bǐ), you can also use 没有 (méiyǒu) to make basic comparisons. You could think of 没有 (méiyǒu) as the opposite of 比 (bǐ) - it works in the same way, but rather than expressing "more... than..." it expresses "not as... as...":
Noun 1 + 没有 + Noun 2 + Adj.
In this structure, the noun that's placed first is less "adjective" than the second noun, making 没有 (méiyǒu) the opposite of 比 (bǐ) for comparison purposes. So in the sentence:
- 小张 没有 小李 高 。 Xiao Zhang is not as tall as Xiao Li.
小李 (Xiǎo Lǐ) is taller. The same situation could be described as:
- 小李 没有 小张 矮 。 Xiao Li is not as short as Xiao Zhang.
- 这 个 地方 没有 上海 好玩。 This place is not as fun as Shanghai.
- 火车 没有 飞机 快。 Trains are not as fast as airplanes.
- 他 没有 他弟弟 聪明。 He's not as smart as his younger brother.
- Clinton 没有 Obama 帅。 Clinton is not as handsome as Obama.
- 马云 没有 Bill Gates 有钱。 Jack Ma is not as rich as Bill Gates.
- 你们 公司 没有 我们公司 大。 Your company is not as big as ours.
- 拼音 没有 汉字 难。 Pinyin is not as difficult as Chinese characters.
- 坐 公交车 没有 坐地铁 方便。 Taking the bus is not as convenient as taking the metro.
- 小米 手机 没有 iPhone 贵。 The Xiaomi phone is not as expensive as the iPhone.
- 爸爸 做的 菜 没有 妈妈 做的菜 好吃。The food dad cooks is not as tasty as the food mom cooks.
- Basic comparisons with "bi"
- Basic comparisons with "bu bi"
- Negation of "you" with "mei"
- Comparisons with "buru"
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 3 (pp. 84) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 2 (3rd ed) (pp. 69- 71) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Chinese: An Essential Grammar, Second Edition (pp. 54-5) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 3 (新实用汉语课本3) (pp. 33-4) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy