Conditions with "yao" and "jiu"
The 要⋯⋯就⋯⋯ grammar structure can be used to express the same meaning as 如果⋯⋯就 However, 要⋯⋯就⋯⋯ is more intense and resolute, similar to imperative sentences (command sentences). Therefore, 要⋯⋯就⋯⋯ sentences typically do not have a subject, but they can have a topic. This grammar form is similar to the English "If you want to (verb) just (verb)..."
要 + Verb + 就 + Verb ……
Note that the verbs in this pattern are usually single-syllable verbs.
- 要 走 就 走 ，我们 不 需要 你 。If you want to leave, leave. We don't need you.
- 要 买 就 买 ，我们 快 关门 了 。If you're going to buy it, buy it now. We are about to close the shop.
- 要 说 就 说 ，别 在 背后 说 。If you're going to say it, say it now. Don't talk behind people's backs.
- 要 去 就 去 ，不用 等 我们 。If you want to go, go now. You don't need to wait for us.
- 要 吃饭 就 吃饭 ，吃 什么 零食 。If you want to eat, eat. Don't just snack.
It's possible to modify the second verb a little bit as well, as long as it's short.
- 要 去 就 快 点 去 。If you want to go, go fast.
- 要 吃 就 自己 拿 。If you want to eat, go ahead and grab some.
- 要 学 就 好好 学 。If you want to study it, study it well.
- 要 问 就 问 清楚 。If you want to ask, then ask clearly.
- 要 买 就 早点 买 。If you want to book it, book it soon.