Expressing "even if…" with "napa"
哪怕 (nǎpà) means "even if," and has a slightly stronger tone than 即使 or 就算. It is therefore often used to disregard hypothetical statements of a more serious nature. It is normally used with 也. Some forms of the pattern also use 再.
哪怕 ⋯⋯ ，也 ⋯⋯
- 哪怕 他 不 说 ，我 也 会 知道 。Even if he didn't told me, I'd still find out.
- 哪怕 你 什么 礼物 都 没 买 ，她 也 会 很 开心 的 。It would make her really happy even if you didn't buy any present.
- 哪怕 他 爸爸 是 总统 ，我 也 不 要 嫁 给 他 ！I wouldn't marry him even if his father is the president!
- 哪怕 你们 会 不 高兴 ，我 也 要 把 话 说 清楚 。I would still say it clearly even if it made you guys unhappy.
- 哪怕 你 打扮 得 像 电影 明星 一样 ，他 也 不 会 看 你 一 眼 ！Even if you dressed up like a movie star, he still wouldn't pay you the slightest attention!
哪怕 is often followed by 再 (in the first part of the sentence) to give further emphasis to what the speaker is saying won't make a difference. In this usage, it's very similar to "no matter," which can also be expressed by patterns like 不管.
哪怕 + Subj. 1 + 再 ⋯⋯ ，Subj. 2 + 也 ⋯⋯
Note: some verbs can also be used with this pattern in place of the adjective.
- 哪怕 再 忙 ，我 也 要 健身 。Even if I‘m super busy, I will still find some time to work out.
- 哪怕 你 说 得 再 好听 ，我们 也 不 相信 。Even if you can be exceptionally persuasive, we're not going to believe it.
- 哪怕 再 累 ，她 也 不 要 父母 帮忙 照顾 孩子 。Even if it's really exhausting, she doesn't want her parents' help with the baby.
- 哪怕 孩子 再 淘气 ，父母 也 不 应该 打 他们 。No matter how disobedient the children are, their parents shouldn't hit them.
- 哪怕 你 问 再 多 遍 ，她 也 不 会 说 一 个 字 。No matter how many times you ask her, she will not say a single word.
- Expressing "even if…" with "jishi"
- Expressing "even if…" with "jiushi"
- Expressing "even if…" with "jiusuan"
Sources and further reading
- New Practical Chinese Reader 5 (新实用汉语课本5) (pp. 113) →buy
- 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课下册） (pp. 556) →buy