Expressing "even if…" with "napa"
哪怕 (nǎpà) means "even if," and has a slightly stronger tone than 即使 or 就算. It is therefore often used to disregard hypothetical statements of a more serious nature.
The basic "even if" form should be familiar if you know 即使 or 就算.
哪怕 ⋯⋯ ，也 ⋯⋯
- 哪怕 他 不 说 ，我 也 会 知道 。Even if he doesn't say, I'll still find out.
- 哪怕 你 什么 礼物 都 没 买 ，她 也 会 很 开心 的 。It would make her really happy even if you didn't buy any present.
- 哪怕 他 爸爸 是 总统 ，我 也 不 要 嫁 给 他 ！I wouldn't marry him even if his father were the president!
- 哪怕 你们 会 不 高兴 ，我 也 要 把 话 说 清楚 。Even if it will make you guys unhappy, I still need to say this.
- 哪怕 你 打扮 得 像 电影 明星 一样 ，他 也 不 会 看 你 一 眼 ！Even if you dressed up like a movie star, he still wouldn't pay you the slightest attention!
Advanced Pattern with 再
哪怕 is often followed by 再 to further emphasize that what follows won't make a difference. In this usage, it's very similar to "no matter," which can also be expressed by patterns like 不管 (bùguǎn).
哪怕 + [Subj. 1] + 再 ⋯⋯ ，[Subj. 2] + 也 ⋯⋯
If the two subjects are the same, it's OK to omit one.
- 哪怕 再 忙 ，我 也 要 健身 。Even if I‘m super busy, I will still find some time to work out.
- 哪怕 你 说 得 再 好听 ，我们 也 不 相信 。No matter how convincing you are, we're still not going to believe it.
- 哪怕 再 累 ，她 也 不 要 父母 帮忙 照顾 孩子。 Even if it's really exhausting, she doesn't want her parents' help with the baby.
- 哪怕 孩子 再 淘气 ，父母 也 不 应该 打 他们 。"Hit" could mean "spank" here.No matter how disobedient the children are, their parents shouldn't hit them.
- 哪怕 你 问 再 多 遍 ，她 也 不 会 说 一 个 字 。No matter how many times you ask her, she will not say a single word.
- Expressing "even if…" with "jishi"
- Expressing "even if…" with "jiushi"
- Expressing "even if…" with "jiusuan"
Sources and further reading
- New Practical Chinese Reader 5 (新实用汉语课本5) (pp. 113) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课下册） (pp. 556) [ →buy]
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 113) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy