Expressing "if it were not for" with "yaobushi"
要不是 (yàobushì) is almost the same as "如果不是⋯⋯ ", and it may followed by "的话," meaning "if it were not for..." or "without...."
Structure
要不是 ⋯⋯(的话),⋯⋯
The second part of the sentence tells what would have happened otherwise.
Examples
- 要不是 你,我 会 迷路。If it weren't for you, I would get lost.
- 要不是 她 帮忙,我们 不 可能 这么 快 找到 这 个 地方。We couldn't have found this place so quickly without her help.
- 要不是 你 说 你 想 吃,我 不 会 做 这 个 菜 的。I wouldn't have made this dish if you hadn't said that you wanted to eat it.
- 要不是 因为 他 是 你 朋友,我 是 不 会 帮 他 的。I wouldn't have helped him if it were not for him being your friend.
- 要不是 我 有 急事 ,我 会 陪 你 去 看 电影 的 。If I didn't have something urgent to do, I would go to the movies with you.
- 要不是 你 这么 忙,我们 早就 见面 了。If you hadn't been so busy, we'd have met long ago.
- 要不是 你 刚才 说 错 话,他 是 不 会 生气 的。He wouldn't have gotten mad if it weren't for you saying the wrong thing just now.
- 要不是 你们 迟到 的话 ,我们 早就 到 了。We would have gotten there long ago if it were not for you all being late.
- 要不是 妈妈 发现 了 的话 ,还 可以 在 我 家 聚会。If Mom hadn't found out, we could have had the get-together at my house.
- 要不是 堵车 的话 ,我 现在 已经 到 上海 了。If it weren't for the traffic jam, I'd be in Shanghai by now.