Expressing "the more... the more..." with "yue… yue…"
More than "putting stuff" after two instances of 越 (yuè) in a sentence, there are a number of very specific patterns you will notice if you want to get more sophisticated with 越 (yuè) and go beyond using the simpler 越来越 (yuèláiyuè).
Pattern with a Single Subject
Subj. + 越 ⋯⋯ ，越 ⋯⋯
It's normally verbs or verb phrases following each 越, but adjectives are also possible (typically after the second 越).
- 我们 越 想 越 生气 。The more we think about it, the angrier we get.
- 我 越 看 越 喜欢 。The more I look at it, the more I like it.
Sometimes this pattern is best translated into English as "more and more," which is similar to 越来越 (yuèláiyuè).
- 他 越 跑 越 快 。"faster and faster" = "more and more fast"He ran faster and faster. / The more he ran, the faster he got.
- 雨 越 下 越 大 。"heavier and heavier" = "more and more heavy"The rain got heavier and heavier. / The more it rained, the heavier it got.
Pattern with Two Different Subjects
What follows the first 越 is mostly the reason why the second 越 phrase happens.
Subj. 1 + 越 ⋯⋯ ，Subj. 2 + 越 ⋯⋯
Again, it's normally verbs or verb phrases following each 越, but adjectives are also possible (typically after the second 越).
- 她 越 说 ，我 越 生气 。The more she talks, the angrier I get.
- 你们 越 看 我 ，我 越 紧张 。The more you look at me, the more nervous I am.
- 我 越 走 ，腿 越 痛 。The more I walk, the more my legs hurt.
The More... the Less...
This is actually the same pattern as the last one, but it's different English translation makes it worth paying attention to.
越 ⋯⋯ 越 + 不 ⋯⋯
- 你 越 让 孩子 学 ，孩子 越 不 想 学 。The more you push the kid to study, the less he wants to learn.
- 他 越 问 ，我 越 不 想 说。The more he asks, the less I want to tell him.
- 你 越 这样 说 ，他 越 不 听 。The more you talk this way, the less he listens.
This pattern involves the same verb repeated after each 越. It is limited to a small number of single-syllable verbs related to sensory perception, but you do hear it used.
Subj. + 越 + Verb + 越 + 想 + Verb
- 这 本 书 我 越 看 越 想 看 。 The more I read this book, the more I want to read.
- 这 种 零食 让 人 越 吃 越 想 吃 。 The more you eat it, the more you will want to eat.
- 我 吃 了 这 个 药 以后 总是 想 睡觉 ，而且 越 睡 越 想 睡 。 I'm always so sleepy after taking this medicine. And also, the more I sleep, the more l want to sleep.