Expressing uncertainty about "whether or not"
This article is a stub. Editors can help the Chinese Grammar Wiki by expanding it. |
"whether or not"英文也可以说"if",外国人一般会先学"if"表示"如果",后面会误以为"whether or not"直接翻译成"如果"也是OK的。在汉语里,这个"if"的处理方式是把主要动词变成正反问的形式,也就是"Verb不Verb"。
如果这个动词是双音节的,考虑到经济原则,常常只重复第一个字,如"喜不喜欢","愿不愿意"。 如果是形容词,参照以上原则,如"高不高兴",有时候也可以在形容词前加"是不是",变成"是不是adj."。
Examples
- 我 不 知道 如果他明天会来 。I'm not sure if he will come tomorrow.
- 我 不 知道 他 明天 会 不 会 来 。I'm not sure if he will come tomorrow.
- 我 不 知道 微信 在 国外 如果 受欢迎,但是 在 中国 很 受欢迎 。I'm not sure if WeChat is popular in other countries, but it is in China.
- 我 不 知道 微信 在 国外 是 不 是 受欢迎,但是 在 中国 很 受欢迎 。I'm not sure if WeChat is popular in other countries, but it is in China.
- 我 不 知道 如果 她 能 帮 我们 。I don't know if she can help us.
- 我 不 知道 她 能 不 能 帮 我们 。I don't know if she can help us.
- 我 不 在乎 如果 她 喜欢 。I don't care if she likes it or not.
- 我 不 在乎 她 喜 不 喜欢 。I don't care if she likes it or not.
- 我 想 知道 如果 他们 的 服务 很 贵。I want to know if their service is expensive or not.
- 我 想 知道 他们 的 服务 贵 不 贵 。I want to know if their service is expensive or not.
- 没 问 如果 他们 满意 这个 结果 。I didn't ask if they're satisfied with the result.
- 我 没 问 他们 是 不 是 满意 这个 结果 。I didn't ask if they're satisfied with the result.
- 我 没 问 他们 对 这个 结果 满 不 满意 。I didn't ask if they're satisfied with the result.
英文的否定前置
Examples
- 我 不 觉得 他 明天 会 来 。I don't think he can come tomorrow.
- 我 觉得 他 明天 不 会 来 。I don't think he can come tomorrow.