Using "dui" with verbs
When using 对 (duì) as a preposition, it is used to indicate "to" or "towards" an object or target. As with all prepositions, some care should be taken when using this particle, as usage of 对 doesn't always totally "make sense" or correspond to English at all.
Subj. + 对 + Person + Verb
Note that you shouldn't be plugging in just any old verb here.
- 宝宝 对 我 笑 了 。The baby smiled at me.
- 小狗 在 对 你 叫 。The dog is barking at you.
- 你 不 应该 这样 对 父母 说话 。You shouldn't talk to your parents this way.
- 他 总是 对 老师 撒谎 。He always lies to his teachers.
- 不要 对 孩子 发脾气 。Don't lose your temper at the child.
In English we say "to someone" or "for someone." In Chinese, the pattern is:
对 + Person + 来说 ，⋯⋯
While this pattern was too common to omit from this page, it's covered in more depth as part of phrases using "laishuo."
Certain verbs, especially psychological verbs, are often used with 对, which means 对 is needed if you want to add an Obj. in the structure, such as 对...感兴趣 ("to be interested in..."). In this case, 对 means "in, on, about," etc. The short list below will give a few more verbs used with 对. Check it out!
- 对⋯⋯感兴趣 (gǎn xìngqù) to feel interested in
- 对⋯⋯负责 (fùzé) to be responsible for
- 对⋯⋯满意 (mǎnyì) to feel satisfied about
- 对⋯⋯好奇 (hàoqí) to feel curious about
- 对⋯⋯失望 (shīwàng) to feel disappointed about
- 我 儿子 对 学 外语 很 感 兴趣 。My son is very interested in learning foreign language.
- 你 应该 对 自己 的 工作 负责 。You should be responsible for your job.
- 老板 对 你 不 太 满意 。The boss has not been very satisfied with you.
- 观众 对 比赛 结果 非常 失望 。Everyone is very disappointed with the result of the game.
- 我 的 小 女儿 对 所有 动物 都 很 好奇 。My younger daughter is curious about all the animals.
Sources and further reading
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 2 (3rd ed) (pp. 153) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 1 (pp. 151) →buy
- Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar: A Practical Guide (pp. 84, 88) →buy
- Boya Chinese Elementary Starter 1 (博雅汉语初经起步篇) (pp. 198) →buy
- Chinese Grammar - Broken down into 100 items - Basic and Intermediate Levels (汉语语法百项讲练 - 初中级) (pp. 313) [ →buy]
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 11-2, 134) [ →buy]