Expressing "if it were not for" with "yaobushi"
This article is a stub. Editors can help the Chinese Grammar Wiki by expanding it. |
要不是 (yàobushì) is almost the same as "如果不是⋯⋯ ", and it may followed by "的话," meaning "if it were not for" or "without."
Structure
要不是 ⋯⋯(的话),⋯⋯
Examples
- 要不是 你,我 会 迷路。If it weren't for you, I would have lost my way.
- 要不是 她 帮忙,我们 不可能 这么 快 找到 这 个 地方。We couldn't have found this place without her help.
- 要不是 你 说 你 想 吃,我 不 会 做 这 个 菜 的。I wouldn't have made this dish if you hadn't said that you want to eat.
- 要不是 因为 他 是 你 朋友,我 是 不 会 帮 他 的。I wouldn't have helped him if it were not for him being a friend with you.
- 要不是 我 有 急事,我 会 陪 你 去 看 电影的。If I didn't have something urgent to do, I would have gone to the movies with you.
- 要不是 你 这么 忙,我们 早就 见面 了。If you hadn't been so busy, we'd have met long ago.
- 要不是 你 刚才 说 错 话,他 是 不 会 生气 的。He wouldn't be mad if it were not for something wrong you just said.
- 要不是 你们 迟到 的话,我们 早 就 到 了。We would have gotten here earlier if it were not for you being late.
- 要不是 妈妈 发现 了 的话,还 可以 在 我 家 聚会。If Mom hadn't found out, we could have met at my house.
- 要不是 堵车 的话,我 现在 已经 到 上海 了。If it weren't for the traffic jam, I'd be in Shanghai by now.