Measure words for verbs
- Also known as: 动量词 (dòng liàngcí), verbal measure word and verbal classifier.
When a verb is done more than once, it also requires a measure word to accompany it. This way the measure word is acting as a way to count the frequency or re-occurrence of an action. The most basic one you probably already know is 次 (cì).
Verb + Number + Measure Word
The grammar pattern is very similar to English. For example, "看三次" and "saw three times" mirror each other in structure. In Chinese sentences, these measure words come after the verb. You should also know that, like nouns, some verbs have special measure words to go with them. The basic verbal measure word, however, is 次, as in the number of "times" something is done or happens.
Common verb measure words include 次 (cì), 遍 (biàn), and 下 (xià).
- 再 说 一 遍 。Say it again.
- 你 能 再 读 一 遍 吗 ？Could you please read it again?
- 这个 电影 我 看 过 两 遍 。I've seen this movie twice.
- 这个 故事 我 听 她 说 过 一 百 多 遍 了 。I've heard her tell this story more than one hundred times.
- 我们 去 过 两 次 。We've been there twice.
- 我 问 了 他 很 多 次 ，可是 他 不 告诉 我 。I've asked him about it many times, but he won't tell me.
- 这个 问题 我们 讨论 过 几 次 。We've discussed this issue a few times.
- 那个 红 头发 的 男孩 打 了 我 三 下 。That red-haired boy hit me three times.
- 他 轻轻 地 拍 了 我 两 下 。He very lightly pat me a few times.
- 你 没 听见 吗 ？我 敲 了 好 几 下 。Did you not hear the door? I knocked quite a few times.