Expressing comparable degree with "you"
The structure literally means, "A has B's [Adj.]." The meaning is "A is as [Adj.] as B." This pattern is often used in questions. Think of the jealous girl asking, "is she as pretty as me?" or the insecure weightlifter bro asking, "is he as jacked as me?" Note that for this kind of question, B is usually the one that the speaker prefers.
A + 有 + B + Adj. + 吗 ？
This comparison pattern is generally only used in questions, not statements.
- 他 有 我 帅 吗 ？Is he as handsome as me?
- 你 有 老板 忙 吗 ？Are you as busy as the boss?
- 他 有 姚明 高 吗 ？Is he as tall as YaoMing?
- 纽约 人口 有 上海 人口 多 吗 ？Is the population of New York city as big as that of Shanghai?
Pattern Including a Verb
If a verb is included in this pattern to talk about an action, it's probably going to involve a degree complement using this structure below:
A + 有 + B + Verb + 得 + Adj. + 吗 ？
- 他 有 我 做 得 好 吗 ？Can he do it as well as I do?
- 你 有 Bolt 跑 得 快 吗 ？Can you run as fast as Bolt does?
Advanced Pattern Using 这么 / 那么
This form is often used with 这么 or 那么, which in this case means "as much." And it indicates that B is already very [Adj.]. When B is absent, 那么 means "so" or "that".
A + 有 (+ B) + 这么 / 那么 + Adj. + 吗 ？
- 她 有 那么 漂亮 吗 ？Is she really that pretty?
- 这个 药 有 这么 神奇 吗 ？Is this medicine really that magical?
- 他 有 姚明 那么 高 吗 ？Is he really as tall as YaoMing?
- 你 有 Bill Gates 那么 有钱 吗 ？Are you as rich as Bill Gates?
- Basic comparisons with "meiyou"
- Basic comparisons with "bi"
- Basic comparisons with "bu bi"
- Comparisons with "buru"
- Basic comparisons with "yiyang"
Sources and further reading
- New Practical Chinese Reader 3 (新实用汉语课本3) (pp. 33-4) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 现代汉语八百词 (pp. 631) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy