Expressing "as a result" with "jieguo"
结果 (jiéguǒ) can be used as a conjunction or adverb, meaning "as a result" or "consequently." It normally starts the second half of a sentence and can also introduce an unexpected or undesirable result.
Indicating a Logical Result
Reason / Condition ，结果 + Result / Ending
- 她 穿 得 很 少 ，结果 感冒 了 。She didn't wear enough, as a result, she caught a cold.
- 我 太 紧张 了 ，结果 说 错 了 很 多 。I was too nervous. As a result, I said a lot of things wrong.
- 他 开 得 太 快 了 ，结果 撞到 了 一 个 人 。He drove too fast. As a result, he hit someone.
- 他 没 好好 复习，结果 考试 没 考好 。He didn't review well. As a result, he didn't do well in the exam.
- 他 总是 迟到 ，结果 老板 炒 了 他 的 鱿鱼 。He's always late for work. As a result, his boss fired him.
Indicating an Unexpected Result
Sometimes there is no cause-effect relationship between what comes before and after 结果 (no logical connection). In these sentences, the second half of the sentence usually emphasizes that what actually happened was unexpected or undesired.
Situation ，结果 + [Unexpected Result]
- 我 去 机场 接 他 ，结果 没 接到 他 。I went to the airport to pick him up. I didn't find him there.
- 我 跟 朋友 打赌 ，结果 我 输 了 。I took a bet with my friends. I lost in the end.
- 我 昨天 跟 朋友 去 喝酒 ，结果 喝醉 了 。I went to have a drink with my friends yesterday. I got drunk in the end.
- 他 吃 了 很 多 药 ，结果 都 没有 用 。He took a lot of pills. None of them were useful in the end.
- 我 点 的 是 牛肉 汉堡 ，结果 服务员 给 了 我 一 个 鸡肉 的 。I ordered a burger. The waiter gave me a chicken sandwich instead.