Using "zhe" when "verbing away"
A repeated verb followed by the particle 着 (zhe) is used to show that an action has been repeated for a period of time, and as a result a new situation has arisen which the speaker wishes to comment on.
Verb + 着 + Verb + 着 + 就 + Comment + 了
- 说着 说着 我 就 发现 自己 也 糊涂 了 。After talking and talking, I realized that I had confused myself.
- 我 今天 一直 都 在 看 《论语》， 看着 看着，就 睡着 了 。Today, I was reading the Confucian Analects all day. As I was reading, I fell asleep.
- 我 在 北京 的 胡同 里 走着 走着 就 走丢 了 。Walking and walking in Beijing's back alleys, I got lost.
- 我 玩着 玩着 游戏，就 把 时间 忘 了。I played and played the game, and I forgot the time.
- 我 听着 听着 歌，就 唱 起来 了 。As I listened and listened to the songs, I began to sing.
- 两 个 人 吃着 吃着 饭，就 吵 起来 了 。The two of them ate and ate, and then started arguing.
- 写着 写着 ，就 发现 办公室 大家 都 走 了 。After writing and writing, we realized that everyone in the office had left.
- 今天 在 家 录 视频 ， 录着 录着 ，天 都 已经 黑 了。Today I recorded a video at home, and after all that recording it was already dark.
- 喝着 喝着 ，从 酒 里面 喝 出来 一 根 头发。I drank and drank and drank, and a hair came out of the wine.
- 我 上着 上着 课，就 听到 外面 有 人 叫 我。As I sat through class after class, I heard someone calling me from outside.