Expressing "never again" with "zai ye bu"
Sometimes you may do something or experience something that you never ever want to do again. How do we express that in Chinese? One of the ways is to use 再也不 (zàiyěbù)!
Using 再也 with 不
To express that something will never be done again, or never happen again, you can use this structure:
Subj. + 再也 + 不 + Verb-Obj. + 了
Notice that 了 is used - in this case it's sentence 了. This is because it is now the case that the action will not be done. It usually indicates some kind of determination or decision.
- 我 再也不 想 看到 你 了 ！I never want to see you again!
- 我 再也不 想 跟 你 说话 了 。I don't want to talk with you ever again.
- 我们 再也不 会 相信 你 了 ！We're not going to believe you ever again!
- 医生 说 她再也不 能 跳舞 了 。The doctor said she can never be able to dance again.
- 我 再也不 要 离开 你 了 。I'm not going to leave you ever again.
Using 再也 with 没
Subj. + 再也 + 没 + Verb + 过 + Obj.
Notice that 过 is used. And it means during a certain period of time in the past or from a certain time point up to now, something hasn't been done again.
- 从 那 以后 ，我 再也没 去 过 酒吧 。I've never been to the bar again since then.
- 出国 以后 ，我 再也没 吃 过 地道 的 中国 菜 。I've never eaten any authentic Chinese food ever since I left the country.
- 分手 以后 ，他们 再也没 见 过 。They haven't seen each other ever since they broke up.
- 毕业 以后，她 再也没 花 过 父母 的 钱 。She has never spent her parents' money after she graduated.
- 考 完 试 以后，我 再也没 碰 过 那些 书 。I haven't touched those books after I took the exam.
Sources and further reading
- Common Chinese Patterns 330 (汉语常用格式330例) (pp. 299) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Boya Chinese Elementary Starter 2 (博雅汉语初经起步篇) (pp. 174) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2 (pp. 265) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy