Asking how something is with "zenmeyang"
You may know that 怎么 (zěnme) can mean "how", but by adding to it and making it 怎么样 (zěnmeyàng), you can ask how something is, or what it is like. This is useful in all manner of conversations, and is essential for building conversation skills.
This question form is super simple. It is similar to asking the question, "how is...?"
Subj. + 怎么样 ?
Many of these sample sentences are super common in everyday life, so it's a good idea to get familiar with them.
- 你 最近 怎么样 ？How have you been recently?
- 中国 怎么样 ？How is China?
- 北京 冬天 怎么样 ？How is Beijing in the winter?
- 今天 天气 怎么样 ？How is the weather today?
- 你 妹妹 的 工作 怎么样 ？How is your little sister's job going?
- 你的 新 手机 怎么样 ？How's your new phone?
- 这里 的 菜 怎么样 ？好吃 吗 ？How is the food here? Is it good?
In this pattern, you're directly asking for an opinion in an open-ended way.
你 觉得 + Topic + 怎么样 ?
This is like asking, "what do you think of...?"
- 你 觉得 上海 怎么样 ？What do you think of Shanghai?
- 你 觉得 我 怎么样 ？What do you think of me?
- 你 觉得 中文 怎么样 ？ 难学 吗 ？What do you think of Chinese? Is it difficult to learn?