Expressing passive voice with "gei"
"给" can be used in the passive voice. It can either directly replace "被" or be used with "被." Compared with "被," "给" is more colloquial.
Only using 给
"给" can directly replace "被."
Receiver + 给 + The Doer + Verb Phrase
- 我 给 他 骗 了。I got scammed by him.
- 这么 好 的 机会 给 你 浪费 了。You've wasted such a great opportunity.
- 菜 都 给 你们 吃 完了 吗？You've eaten all the food?
- 孩子 都 给 你 宠 坏 了。The kid is totally spoiled by you.
- 这里 的 水 都 给 污染 了。The water here is all polluted.
Using 给 with 被
When using "给” in the passive voice, you can also use it with "被." The structure would then be "被...给…." In this structure, you must explain "the doer." "给" here is used to give an emphasis of the passive voice. You can find more information on this page 被.