Modifying nouns with phrase + "de"
In addition to linking adjectives to nouns, 的 (de) can also be used to link a whole phrase to a noun, making the already useful 的 (de) even more useful.
As well as attaching adjectives to nouns, 的 (de) can be used to attach whole phrases to nouns. In English this is often achieved with "who" or "that." For example, "the man who went to Beijing" or "the book that I bought yesterday."
Phrase + 的 + Noun
Here a phrase means Verb + (Object).
- 妈妈 做 的 菜 the food that mom cooks
- 去 北京 的 火车 the train that goes to Beijing
- 你 教 的 学生 the students that you teach
- 老板 请 的 朋友 the friends that the boss invited
- 我 画 的画the pictures that I draw
- 他 写 的 书 the books that he wrote
- 妈妈 给 我 买 的 衣服the clothes that mom bought for me
- 客户 问 的 问题 the questions that the client asked
- 穿 Prada 的 女人women who wear Prada
- 不 喜欢 中国菜 的 老外 the foreigners that don't like Chinese food