Verbing briefly with "yixia"
After briefly reading this article, you will know how to use 一下 (yīxià) to express a brief action!
To express that a verb is carried out briefly or "a little bit," you can add 一下 (yīxià) after it. Sometimes 一下 (yīxià) can soften the tone.
Subj. + Verb + 一下 + Obj.
Often, adding 一下 (yīxià) just makes the Chinese feel more natural. This is not something you can get a feel for quickly. You'll want to observe how native speakers use 一下 (yīxià) over a long period of time to really get used to how it is used.
- 请 你 等 一下。You get the feeling that it shouldn't be a long wait. Please wait a little bit.
- 你 看 一下。It should be quick. Take a look.
- 试 一下 吧。How long can trying it take? Try it.
- 我 要 想 一下。You're supposed to believe that I won't need to think about it long. I want to think a little.
- 开 一下 门 吧 。 How long can it take to open the door? Please open the door.
- 请 你 说 一下 为什么。I feel it should be a quick explanation. Please say why.
- 不要 生气 了，笑 一下！Just one quick laugh! Don't be mad, laugh!
- 宝宝，亲 一下 爸爸。If a baby's kiss isn't quick, it's weird for everyone. Baby, give your dad a kiss.
- 你 可以 来 一下 我 的 办公室 吗？Just come real quick. Could you please come to my office?
- 你 能 介绍 一下 自己 吗 ？ Not your life story, just a brief self-introduction. Could you introduce yourself briefly?