Expressing "stop doing" with "bie… le"
You may know how to make negative commands with "bie," but what if someone is already doing it? The pattern 别⋯⋯了 (bié... le) is all you need to tell someone to STOP DOING THAT (which they're already doing).
别 + Verb / [Verb Phrase] + 了
Instead of just a verb, it can also be a verb phrase.
- 别 说 了 ， 我 不 想 听 。Stop talking. I don't want to listen.
- 别 问 了， 我 不 想 说 。Stop asking. I don't want to say.
- 别 做 了 ，明天 再 做 吧 。Stop doing it. Do it tomorrow.
- 别 看 了，睡觉 ！Stop watching. Go to sleep!
- 别 哭 了 ，烦 死 了 。Stop crying, it's so annoying.
- 别 笑 了 ，别人 都 在 看 你。Stop laughing. Other people are looking at you.
- 别 吃 了 ，我们 要 迟到 了。Stop eating. We're going to be late.
- 别 玩 了 ，去 写 作业 。Stop playing. Do your homework.
- 别 买 了 ，太 贵 了 ！In this case, the person probably isn't actually paying, but they're about to.Don't buy it. It's too expensive!
- 别 喝 了 ，你 已经 喝 了 五 杯 了。Stop drinking. You've already drunk five glasses.
Sources and further reading
- 现代汉语八百词（增订本） (pp. 83) [ →buy]