Negative commands with "bie"
Instead of saying "do not" with 不要 (bùyào), we can say "don't" a little more quickly and forcefully by using 别 (bié).
Besides using 不要 (bùyào), negative commands can also be formed with 别 (bié). You could think of 别 (bié) as a contraction of 不要 (bùyào), as the structure is the same for both:
别 + Verb (+ Obj.)
- 别 走。Don't leave.
- 别 说话！Don't speak!
- 别 笑！Don't laugh!
- 别 动！Don't move!
- 别 过来！Don't come over here!
- 别 打 孩子！Don't hit the child!
- 别 喝 太 多。Don't drink too much.
- 喝酒 以后 别 开车。After drinking alcohol, don't drive.
- 吃饭 的 时候 别 玩 手机。When eating, don't play with your cell phone.
- 上课 的 时候 别 说 英文。Don't speak English in class.
Sources and Further Reading
- Yoyo Chinese: Negative commands