Adjectival complement "de budeliao"
得不得了 (de bùdéliǎo) can be used as a complement to suggest a situation is serious, or is likely to result in perhaps terrible consequences. It can be used in a positive sense, such as in English when we say "I'm terribly happy."
Adj. + 得不得了
- 升职 的 事情 让 他 高兴 得 不得了。The fact that he got promoted made him extremely happy.
- 嗨，他 跟 老总 的 关系 好 得 不得了，你 一定 要 小心！The relationship between him and the chief officer is really good, you need to be careful!
- 爸爸 气 得 不得了，你 要 倒霉 啦。Dad is super angry. You're going to be unlucky.
- 她的妈妈刚去世， 她难过 得 不得了。Her mom just passed away, she is extremely sad.
- Adjectival complement "de hen"
- Descriptive complements
- Negative adjectives with "-si le"
- Positive adjectives with "-ji le"
Sources and further reading
- Boya Chinese Lower Intermediate 2 (博雅汉语准中级加速篇) (pp. 134-5) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 5 (新实用汉语课本5) (pp. 53) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 2 (3rd ed) (pp. 262) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2 (pp. 159) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy