Advanced uses of direction complement "-qilai"
We saw in B1 that 起来 (qǐlái), among other things, can be used to express a literal upward movement. 起来 also has some more slightly less intuitive usages, which are figurative extensions of the "movement" idea.
起来 can be used to express collecting things together, where in English we might say "tidy up," or "add up."
Verb + 起来
Note that you will often see this pattern used with 把 sentence.
Subj. + 把 + Obj. + Verb + 起来
- 13 和 15 加 起来 是 多少 ？How much is 13 and 15 added up?
- 他 把 衣服 都 收 起来 了 。He put away his clothes.
- 我 老婆 把 钱 都 存 起来 了 。My wife saves up all our money.
- 把 你 的 玩具 都 收 起来 。Put your toys away.
- 你 为什么 要 把 我 的 手机 藏 起来 ？Why would you hide my cell phone?
起来 can also be used to express more abstract concepts of bringing things together.
- 如果 我们 团结 起来 ，一定 能 赢 。We will absolutely win this if we unite.
- 如果 你 把 工作 和 兴趣 结合 起来，工作 就 会 很 快乐 。 If you combine your work with your interest, working would be fun.
- 我们 要 把 所有 的 资源 都 利用 起来。We need to put all the resources together.
- Result complement "-qilai"
- Figurative directional complements 下去 and 出来
- Direction complement
- Result complements "dao" and "jian"
- Appearance with "kanqilai"
Sources and further reading
- Boya Chinese Elementary Starter 2 (博雅汉语初经起步篇) (pp. 80) →buy
- Chinese Grammar - Broken down into 100 items - Basic and Intermediate Levels (汉语语法百项讲练 - 初中级) (pp. 25-31) [ →buy]
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 2 (3rd ed) (pp. 141-2) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 1 (pp. 342-3) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2 (pp. 20) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 3 (新实用汉语课本3) (pp. 169) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 5 (新实用汉语课本5) (pp. 134-5) →buy