Expressing "in addition" with "haiyou"
- Expressing "and" with "he" (A1)
- Expressing "and also" with "hai" (A2)
- Expressing "except" and "in addition" with "chule… yiwai" (B1)
- Expressing "in addition" with "lingwai" (B1)
- Expressing "in addition" with "zaishuo" (B1)
- Expressing "not only... but also" (B1)
- Using "budan... geng" to express "not only... but also" (B1)
- Expressing "and" with "he" (advanced) (B2)
- Expressing "as well as" with "yiji" (C1)
还有 (háiyǒu) is used to express "in addition..." or "and also..." in a conversation. It is for introducing new information as an afterthought.
It's as simple as using 还有 before the new clause or sentence. 还有 can also be used with a comma, similar to how we can say "in addition..." in English.
⋯⋯ ，还有 ，⋯⋯
- 你 需要 吃 药 。还有 ，要 多 休息 。You need to take medicine. Also, you should get more rest.
- 我 要 大杯 ，不要 冰 ，还有 ，少 放 糖 。I want a large drink, no ice. Also, just a little sugar, please.
- 不要 一边 吃饭 一边 说话 。还有 ，别 吃 那么 快 。Don't talk while you eat. Also, don't eat so fast.
- 考试 的 时候 不要 说话 。还有 ，不要 用 手机 。No talking while taking a test. Also, no using your cell phones.
- 他们 不 想 要 孩子 。还有 ，他们 也 没 时间 照顾 孩子 。They don't want to have kids. Plus, they wouldn't have time to look after a kid.
- 酒店 谁 来 订？还有 ，机票 买 了 吗 ？Who's going to book the hotel room? Also, did you buy the plane tickets?
- 下班 以后 早点 回来 。还有 ，回来 的 路上 买 点 水果 。Come back early after work. Also, buy some fruit on your way back.
- 今天 要 做 完 这个 报告 。还有 ，明天 开会 前 打印 三 份 。You need to finish this report today. In addition, print three copies before the meeting tomorrow.
- 入住 前 要 付 押金 。还有 ，不能 带 宠物 。You need to pay the deposit before using the room. Also, you're not allowed to have pets here.
- 先生 ，这里 不能 抽烟 。还有 ，请 你们 声音 小 一点 。Sir, you can't smoke in here. Also, lower your voices, please.
Sources and further reading