Expressing "and also" with "hai"
In English we use "and also" when we want to connect separate and different thoughts. We can do the same thing in Chinese by using 还 (hái).
The adverb 还 (hái) can be used to link two phrases together, in a similar way to "and also" in English. In this case, 还 (hái) begins a new phrase or clause.
Subj. + Verb + Obj. 1， 还 + Verb + Obj. 2
- 她 有 一 个 弟弟，还 有 一 个 妹妹。She has a younger brother and also has a younger sister.
- 我 老板 会 说 法语，还 会 说 日语。My boss can speak French and can also speak Japanese.
- 你 要 一 杯 咖啡，还 要 什么？You want a cup of coffee, and what else do you want?
- 我 想 吃 冰淇淋，还 想 吃 汉堡。I want to eat ice cream and I also want to eat a hamburger.
- 爸爸 有 一个 小米 手机，还 有 一个 iPhone。Dad has a Xiaomi phone and also has an iPhone.
- 你 晚上 在家 做 了 作业，还 做 了 什么？You did your homework at home tonight, and what else did you do?
- 他 结婚 的 时候，请 了 同事，还 请 了 谁？When he got married, he invited his co-workers. Who else did he invite?
- 生日 的 时候，我们 会 吃 蛋糕，还 要 送 礼物。During a birthday, we eat cake and also give presents.
- 去 美国 要 带 钱、护照，还 要 带 什么？To go to the USA, you need to take money and a passport. What else do you need to take with you?
The Difference Between 还 (hái) and 也 (yě)
It should be noted that another common way to express "also" is with the word 也 (yě). What's the difference? With 还 (hái), ONE subject is doing TWO different things, whereas when 也 (yě) is used, TWO subjects are doing ONE thing.
It's the difference between these two English sentences:
- He fixed dinner and also washed the dishes.
- She washed the dishes too.
If you translated these into Chinese, the first one (one subject, two actions) would use 还 (hái), and the second one (second subject, no new actions) would use 也 (yě). Let's do that!
- 他 做 了 饭 ， 还 洗 了 碗。He fixed dinner and also washed the dishes.
- 她 也 洗 了 碗。She washed the dishes too.
How about a few more similar examples?
- 我 洗 了 澡， 还 洗 了 衣服。 I took a shower and also did my laundry.
- 她 也 洗 了 衣服。She did her laundry too.
- 我们 今天 晚上 出去 吃饭 了，还 看 了 电影 。We went out for dinner tonight and also watched a movie.
- 他们 今天 晚上 也 看 了 电影 。 They watched a movie tonight too.
- Continuation with "hai"
- "In addition" with "zaishuo"
- "In addition" as "lingwai"
- Expressing "in addition" with "haiyou"