Expressing "more and more" with "yuelaiyue"
越来越 (yuèláiyuè) is used frequently in Chinese to express that some quality or state is increasing with time, or in tune with another factor. There are two forms of this pattern, the "simple" one (using 来), and the more complex one (which uses two different adjectives/verbs).
Used with Adjectives
This structure expresses that something is becoming more and more adjective over time, with the latter adjective changing with the verb. The most common structure is:
Subj. + 越来越 + Adj. + 了
- 天气 越来越 冷 了 。The weather is getting colder and colder.
- 你 女儿 越来越 漂亮 了 。Your daughter is getting more and more beautiful.
- 你 做 的 菜 越来越 好吃 了 。The food that you cook is more and more delicious.
- 技术 越来越 发达 了 。Technology is more and more developed.
- 上海 的 房价 越来越 高 了 。The housing price in Shanghai is getting higher and higher.
Used with Verbs
Subj. + 越来越 + [Verb Phrase] + 了
- 我 的 学生 越来越 喜欢 上海 了 。My students like Shanghai more and more.
- 我 女儿 越来越 爱 学 英语 了 。I'm getting more and more homesick.
- 他 越来越 能 吃 辣 了。He's getting better and better at eating spicy food.
- 我 越来越 明白 他 说 的 那些 话 的 意思 了 。I understand more and more what he meant by saying those words.
- 有 了 孩子 以后，我 越来越 理解 我 的 父母 了。After I have my own kid, I understand my parents more and more.
Sources and further reading
- Common Chinese Patterns 330 (汉语常用格式330例) (pp. 295) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 2 (3rd ed) (pp. 153-4) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2 (pp. 288-9) →buy
- Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar: A Practical Guide (pp. 238-9) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 3 (新实用汉语课本3) (pp. 185) →buy
- 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课下册） (p. 340)→buy