Expressing "then" with "jiu"
Usually the first part of the sentence will set up a situation. Then the second part, with 就 (jiù) leading the way, indicates what should be done as a result.
..., 就 + Verb Phrase
Not always easy to translate, you could think of 就 (jiù) as meaning "just" or "then."
- 你 喜欢 喝 奶茶，我们 就 买 奶茶 吧。So you like milk tea. Then we'll buy milk tea.
- 你 最 有 经验，就 听 你的 吧。You have the most experience. We'll just listen to you.
- 我 听到 这个 坏 消息，就 给 你 打 电话 了。As soon as I heard this bad news, I called you.
- 你 现在 身体 不 好，就 不 要 喝酒 了。Your health isn't good now. So just stop drinking.
- 他 最近 太 累 了，就 生病 了。He's been too tired recently, and then he got sick.
- 今天 下雨，我们 就 不 出去 了。It's going to rain today. So let's just not go out.
- 他 妈妈 没有 给 他 买 书包，他 就 哭 了。His mom didn't buy him the backpack, and then he just started crying.
- 就 在 这 家 店 吃饭 吧，那 家 店 人 太 多 了。Let's just eat at this restaurant. That one is too crowded.
- 就 去 看 电影 吧。Let's just go watch a movie.