Stating the effect before the cause
(Redirected from Stating the Effect before the Cause)
之所以⋯⋯是因为⋯⋯ (zhī suǒyǐ... shì yīnwèi...) can be translated as “the reason why... is because...” and can be used if the speaker wishes to state the effect before the cause. It's normally used in somewhat formal speech.
之所以 ⋯⋯ ，是 + 因为 / 为了 / 想 ⋯⋯
- 她 之 所以 问 这么 多 是 为了 多 关心 你们 。The reason she asks so many questions is in order to she cares about you guys.
- 我 之 所以 不 喜欢 他 是 因为 他 太 疯狂 了。The reason why I don't like him is because he's too crazy.
- 我们 之 所以 迟到 了 是 因为 路上 堵车。The reason we were late is because we were stuck in a traffic jam.
- 小朋友 之 所以 哭 是 因为 我 没有 给 她 买 巧克力。The reason the child is crying is because I didn't buy her chocolate.
- 路上 之 所以 有 很 多 人 是 因为 今天 天气 好。 The reasons there are so many people on the street is because the weather is nice today.
- 你 之 所以 能 被 录取 是 因为 你 很 优秀。You reason you were accepted is because you are outstanding.
- 我 之 所以 没 告诉 你 是 为了 不 让 你 担心 。The reason I didn't tell you is that I didn't want you to worry.
- 他 之 所以 放弃 了 那 份 工作 是 因为 他 找到 了 更好 的 机会 。The reason why he gave up that job was that he found himself a better opportunity.
- 我们 之 所以 保密 是 想 给 她 一 个 惊喜 。The reason why we kept it a secret is that we wanted to give her a surprise.
- 公司 之 所以 花钱 培训 你们 是 想 让 你们 越来越 专业 。The reason why the company spends money on your training is to help you become more and more professional.
- Expressing purpose with "weile"
- "Due to…" with "youyu"
- "Because" with "er" indicating effect
- Explaining results with "suoyi"
- Cause and effect with "yinwei" and "suoyi"
Sources and further reading
- New Practical Chinese Reader 5 (新实用汉语课本5) (pp. 93) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 199) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy