Expressing "if… then…" with "yaoshi"
"要是⋯⋯，就⋯⋯" (yàoshi..., jiù...) is one of several ways to convey "If... Then..." It is very similar to 如果..., 就... in usage and formality. However, it is important to note that 要是 is considered to be even more informal (and is usually left more to spoken Chinese) than the common 如果 and used more frequently in the northern areas of China.
要是 ……， 就 ……
- 要是 他 不 来，我们 就 走 吧。If he doesn't come, we'll have to go.
- 你 要是 真 想 我，就 给 我 打 电话 吧。If you really miss me, then give me a call.
- 要是 我妈 知道 这 件 事，我 就 死 定了!If my mother knew about this, I would be so dead!
- 要是 老板 不 同意，我们 就 不 能 跟 客户 签 合同。If the boss doesn't agree, we can't sign the contract with the client.
- 你 要是 再 这么 说， 我 就 真 生气 了。If you keep talking this way, I'll get really mad.