Expressing "if… then…" with "yaoshi"
要是⋯⋯，就⋯⋯ (yàoshi..., jiù...) is one of several ways to convey "If... Then..." It is very similar to 如果..., 就... in usage and formality. However, it is important to note that 要是 is considered to be even more informal (and is usually left more to spoken Chinese) than the common 如果 and used more frequently in the northern areas of China.
要是 ⋯⋯ ， 就 ⋯⋯
- 要是 他 不 来，我们 就 走 吧。If he doesn't come, we'll have to go.
- 你 要是 真 想 我，就 给 我 打 电话 吧。If you do miss me, then give me a call.
- 要是 我妈 知道 这 件 事，我 就 死 定了!If my mother knew about this, I would be so dead!
- 要是 老板 不 同意，我们 就 不 能 跟 客户 签 合同。If the boss doesn't agree, we can't sign the contract with the client.
- 你 要是 再 这么 说， 我 就 真 生气 了。If you keep talking this way, I'll get really mad.
意思接近if it weren't for
要不是 ⋯⋯ ， 就 ⋯⋯
- 要 不 是 他 求 我 ， 我 才 不 帮 你 呢 。If it weren't because he begged me, I wouldn't be helping you.
- 要 不 是 因为 孩子 ，我 早就 离婚 了 。If it weren't for the sake of kids, I would have divorced him sooner.
- 要 不 是 堵车 ，我 早就 到 了 。If it weren't for the traffic jam, I would have gotten here sooner.
- 要 不 是 亲眼 看到 ，我 也 不 相信 。If I hadn't seen it for myself, I wouldn't believe it.
- 要 不 是 你 提醒 我 ，我 肯定 忘 了 。If it weren't for your reminding me, I would have forgotten.
Sources and further reading
- Common Chinese Patterns 330 (汉语常用格式330例) (pp. 246) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar: A Practical Guide (pp. 278) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 4 (新实用汉语课本4) (pp. 41-2) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课下册） (pp. 502) [ →buy]