Expressing "no matter" with "wulun"
无论 (wúlùn) means "no matter," and is generally used in the first part of the sentence. As with many other constructions, 都 and 也 can be used in the second part of the sentence to emphasize the action or decision will not change. It is more formal than 不管.
无论 + Circumstances + 都 / 也 + Inevitable Result
Note that 不论 (bùlùn) is equivalent to 无论 for this pattern.
Because 无论 means "no matter," the clause that follows 无论 is going to include phrases such as "how hard you try" or "wherever you go," and thus will normally include interrogative pronouns such as 怎么, 多(么), 什么, 谁, etc.
- 无论 怎么样，他 都 会 放弃，别 高估 他。No matter what it's like, he will give up. Don't overestimate him.
- 无论 多么 成功，他 总 觉得 自己 不够 好。No matter how successful he is, he always thinks he isn't enough.
- 无论 你 到 哪儿 我 都 会 跟着 你。Wherever you go, I will follow you.
- 无论 你 说 还是 不 说，结果 都 一样。Whatever you say, the result will be the same.
As we can see from the example sentences, 无论 is often used with 是 X 还是 Y, "Verb 不 Verb" and interrogative pronouns like 多少 and 什么.
无论如何 is a useful set phrase, meaning "no matter what."
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 4下 (pp. 6) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Basic Patterns of Chinese Grammar (pp. 79-80) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Boya Chinese Upper Intermediate 1 (博雅汉语中级冲刺篇) (pp. 115) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 1 (pp. 116-7) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 4 (新实用汉语课本4) (pp. 145) Anything Goes (无所不谈) →buy
- 现代汉语八百词（增订本） (pp. 560) [ →buy]
- 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 (pp. 180) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy
- 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课下册） (pp. 556) [ →buy]