Expressing "anyway" with "fanzheng"
Lovers of the word "anyways" in English, rejoice! The word 反正 (fǎnzhèng) works essemtially the same way. It means "anyhow," or "regardless," and is used to disregard a previous statement, particularly those involving options or choices.
反正 as "No Matter What"
You can put 反正 in the sentence after a comma or pause, similar to how we use "anyway" in English. It can be used with "不管."
[Disregarded Situation] ， 反正 ⋯⋯
- 不管 他 去 不 去 ，反正 我 要 去 。Regardless of whether he's going or not, I'm going anyway.
- 不管 你 信 不 信 ，反正 我 信 。No matter whether you believe this or not, I believe it anyway.
- 不管 他 爸爸 是 谁 ，反正 我 要 告 他 。No matter who his father is, I'm going to sue him anyway.
- 随便 别人 怎么 想 ，反正 我 无所谓。Other people can think whatever they want. I don't really care what people think.
- 说 不 说 都 一样 ，反正 没有 人 会 听 我 的 。Whether I speak or not, it's all the same. Nobody is going to listen to me anyway.
反正 to Emphasize a Reason
反正, in this case, is used to convey a certainty or resolution. It‘s similar to 既然 (jìrán). 反正 goes at the beginning of the clause introducing the reason, but that clause can come first or second in the sentence. (既然 is not quite so flexible.)
反正 + Reason ，Decision / Suggestion
Decision / Suggestion ，反正 + Reason
- 反正 他们 不 来 了，咱们 自己 去 吧。They are not coming anyway, so let's just go by ourselves.
- 我 就 送 给 你 吧 。 反正 我 也 不 需要。I'll just give it to you. I don't need it anyway.
- 反正 我 家 够 大，你们 今晚 都 住 这儿 吧。My house is big enough, you can all stay here tonight.
- 你 还 怕 什么？反正 大家 都 知道 了 。What are you still afraid of? Everybody knows about it now anyway.
- 反正 可以 刷卡 ，没有 现金 没什么 大不了 的 。Anyway, we can just use a credit card. It’s no big deal to have no cash.