Combining verbs with "bing"
并(且）(bìng(qiě)) meaning "moreover" can be used to connect verbs. In this structure the two verbs used are equal to each other with neither being primary or secondary.
Verb / [Verb Phrase 1] + 并(且) + Verb / [Verb Phrase 2]
Notice that "并且" is used with verbs, unlike "和" which is used with nouns.
Here are some examples:
- 爸爸 批评 了 我 并且 告诉 我 以后 不 能 说谎。My dad criticized me and and also told me that I cannot lie again.
- 我们 需要 的 是 有 丰富 的 工作 经验 并且 懂 得 团队 合作 的 员工。What we need is an employee with rich work experience and also an understanding of teamwork.
- 你 要 按照 我 说 的 做 并且 要 做 好。I need you to do as I say and also do it well.
- 我 通知 了 所有 的 人，并且 准备 了 所有 的 材料。I informed everyone and also prepared all of the materials.
- 这种 现象 很 常见 并且 会 持续 很 长 时间。This type of phenomenon is very common and will also continue for a very long period of time.
- 控制 饮食 并且 多 运动，会 让 你 的 身材 越来越 好。Controlling your diet and also exercising more will give you a better and better figure.
- 我 会 帮 你 找到 问题 并且 解决 问题。I can help you find the problem and also solve it.
- 我 同意 并且 支持 你 的 决定。I agree with and support your decision.
- 我们 负责 安装 并且 维护 这个 系统。We're in charge of installing and also maintaining this system.
- 你 要 编辑 并且 打印 这 个 文件。You need to edit and also print out this document.
Rarely will a bare verb (rather than a verb phrase) appear both before and after 并且. Where this is the case the sentence will normally take the tone of an imperative, instructing someone to do something.
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 4下 (pp. 19) →buy
- A Practical Chinese Grammar For Foreigners (外国人实用汉语语法) (pp. 130-1) →buy