Expressing "again" in the past with "you"
Whenever you want to express something like "you did it again!" in Chinese, you generally want to use 又 (yòu).
又 Used in the Past
Normally, 又 is used to express an action that has already happened again for (at least) the second time. It doesn't have to be in quick succession; it happened before, and now it's happened again.
又 + Verb + 了
- 又 下雨 了 ！It rains again!
- 你 又 迟到 了。You came late again.
- 我 又 写 错 了。I wrote it wrong again.
- 宝宝 又 哭 了。The baby is crying again.
- 他 又 喝 醉 了？He got drunk again?
Colloquial Usage 又来了
"又来了" fits the above pattern, but is also a little tricky because it expresses something that is still ongoing, and has already started as the speaker is speaking. Literally it's say, "here it comes again," but it's more accurate to translate it as "there it is again," or "there [he] goes again." It indicates that the speaker is a bit annoyed that it happened again.
又 Used in the Future
When it becomes clear that something is about to happen again, you can also use 又. It's almost as if it has already happened in your mind. In these cases, it's quite common for 又 to be immediately followed by 是 (shì), 要 (yào), 可以 (kěyǐ), 能 (néng), and you'll notice that there's often a 了, indicating that something is about to happen.
又 + 要 / 想 / 可以 / 能 + Verb Phrase (+ 了)
- 明天 又 要 上班 了 ！I need to go to work tomorrow AGAIN! yào shàngbān le!
- 我 又 要 迟到 了。I'm going to be late again.
- 你 又 想 骗 我 ？Are you trying to fool me again?
- 老板 请客，又 可以 吃 大餐 了！The boss is going to treat us. We can have a big meal again!
- 快 过年 了，我们 又 能 拿 压岁钱 了！CNY is coming soon. We can get our new year money again!
- "Both A and B" with "you"
- Comparing "zai" and "you"
- "Both… and…" with "ji...you"
- Advanced use of "you"
- Emphasizing negation with "you"
Sources and further reading
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 2 (3rd ed) (pp. 141-2) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 1 (pp. 157) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 2 (pp. 288) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 3 (新实用汉语课本3) (pp. 202) →buy
- 现代汉语八百词（增订本） (p. 633) →buy
- 现代汉语虚词例释 (p. 588)→buy
- Yale Chinese Usage Dictionary: Using 再 and 又