Adjectives with "-ji le"
- Expressing "excessively" with "tai" (A1)
- Expressing "really" with "zhen" (A2)
- Intensifying with "duo" (A2)
- Negative adjectives with "-si le" (A2)
- Special verbs with "hen" (A2)
- Superlative "zui" (A2)
- Adjectives with "name" and "zheme" (B1)
- Degree complement (B1)
- Expressing "quite" with "ting" (B1)
- Adjectival complement "de budeliao" (B2)
- Adjectival complement "de hen" (B2)
- Advanced degree complements (B2)
- Complement "-huai le" (B2)
Just as 死了 (sǐle) can be used to intensify negative adjectives, 极了 (jíle) is a somewhat less common way to intensify both positive and negative adjectives. It is used in spoken, colloquial Chinese. 极 (jí) means "extreme" or "utmost."
This structure is technically a kind of degree complement and one of the few that you can use after the adjective and without adding a 得 (de). Remember to add the 了 (le), since it would be incorrect without it.
Subj. + Adj. + 极了
Some examples with a positive connotation:
- 这个 主意 好 极了 。This idea is perfect.
- 味道 好 极了 ! The taste is perfect!
- 他 的 英文 棒 极了 。His English is perfect.
- 婚礼 热闹 极了 。The wedding was very lively.
- 一点 声音 都 没有 ，安静 极了 。There is no sound at all. It's extremely quiet.
Some examples with a negative connotation:
- 昨天 的 派对 无聊 极了 ! Yesterday's party was so boring!
- 他 那么 生气 ，我们 都 害怕 极了 。He was so angry. We were all so scared.
- 高考 那 天 ，我 紧张 极了 。I was super nervous the day I took the college entrance examination.
- 这 件 事 让 我们 都 尴尬 极了 。This incident made us all extremely embarrassed.
- 那个 男孩 讨厌 极了 ! That boy is super annoying!
- Negative adjectives with "-si le"
- Advanced degree complements
- Adjectives with "name" and "zheme"
- Adjectival complement "de budeliao"
Sources and further reading
- HSK Standard Course 3 (pp. 129) 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课上册） →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 1 (1st ed) (pp. 8) [ →buy]
- Chinese Grammar - Broken down into 100 items - Basic and Intermediate Levels (汉语语法百项讲练 - 初中级) (pp. 348) 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课上册） →buy
- Boya Chinese Elementary Starter 1 (博雅汉语初经起步篇) (pp. 190) 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课上册） →buy
- 现代汉语八百词 (pp. 286-287) 卓越汉语－公司实战篇 →buy