Events in quick succession with "yi... jiu..."
This pattern tells us that as soon as one thing happened, then another thing happened immediately afterwards. You mark the two events with 一 (yī) and 就 (jiù).
Used as "as soon as"
The pattern involves two different events, the first preceded by "一," and then the second event, which follows in quick succession, preceded by 就.
一 + Event 1，就 + Event 2
The subjects of the two "Events" can be the same, but they don't have to be. If they're the same, then you don't need to repeat the subject for the second one.
- 饿 死了，我 一 下课 就 要 去 吃 午饭 。I'm starved. I will go to lunch as soon as the class is over.
- 你 能 不 能 一 下班 就 去 接 孩子 ？Can you go to pick up the kid as soon as you get off work?
- 妈妈 一 到 家 就 去 做饭 了 。As soon as mother arrived home, she went to cook dinner.
- 老师 一 来 大家 就 不 说话 了。As soon as the teacher came , everyone stopped talking.
- 我 一 进门 ，小狗 就 跑 了 过来 。As soon as I walked into the door, the puppy ran over to me.
Used as "Every Time"
In this case, 一 means "every time," followed by some certain condition, which could be the reason or the cause of what happened after 就. The subjects of the two "Events" are usually the same.
一 + Reason，就 + Result
- 我 一 想到 这 件 事 就 不 高兴 。Every time I think about this, I get upset.
- 她 一 生气 就 脸红 。Every time she gets angry, her face turns red.
- 你 怎么 一 吃 火锅 就 拉肚子 ？How come you have a diarrhea every time you eat hotpot?
- 他 一 上 英语 课 就 想 睡觉 。Every time he takes English class, he feels like falling asleep.
- 一 说到 物理 ，我 就 头疼 。Every time we talk about physics, it gives me headache.
Sources and further reading
- Common Chinese Patterns 330 (汉语常用格式330例) (pp. 184) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 2 (新实用汉语课本2) (pp. 240) →buy
- New Practical Chinese Reader 3 (新实用汉语课本3) (pp. 169) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 1 (3rd ed) (pp. 206-7) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 1, Part 2 (3rd ed) (pp. 88-9) →buy
- Integrated Chinese: Level 2, Part 1 (pp. 85-7) →buy
- 40 Lessons for Basic Chinese Course (基础汉语40课上册） (pp. 173, 189) →buy